Language Learning With New Friends
At Camp Dragon, a day camp designed for American and Chinese students who have completed FIFTH GRADE and up, you’ll learn to speak each other’s language and gain an appreciation for each other’s culture. The program includes 12 days of friendship-building and memory-making activities and event.
Using a buddy system, visiting Chinese students provide small-group lessons and lead activities and projects for American students. Themed learning experiences for teens, led by teens, are usually scheduled for weekday mornings. Afternoons for all ages are set aside for field trips, sightseeing, and other adventures. The weekend offers unscheduled free-time, allowing Chinese guests to explore and practice language skills with their host families and new friends. Chinese students stay with host families from the Lakes International Language Academy community. Host families and U.S. students provide their own transportation to the camp each day (sorry, no bus service).
Location, Dates and Times
Camp Dragon - Mandarin by the Lake will be held at Lakes International Language Academy's Main Campus, 246 11th Ave. S.E., Forest Lake, MN.
Camp dates: Monday, July 24 - Friday, August 4, 2017
Daily start time: Classes begin on weekdays at 8:30 a.m.
Daily end time: Students should be picked up on weekdays at approximately 4:30 p.m., depending on the activities.
Host Families, please note:
- Chinese students arrive Sunday, July 23. LILA arranges pickup at the airport. Classes and the activity start on Monday.
- At the conclusion of the Camp Dragon, host families bring their Chinese students to LILA on Saturday, August 5. LILA arranges transportation to the airport.
Most every weekday class starts with small group cultural lessons led by the visiting Chinese students for the U.S. students, followed by experiential hands on activities. Topics and activities include:
- Life in my home town - Chinese Game “Drop the Handkerchief”
- Chinese food - Make dumplings
- Chinese dress - Chinese dress fashion show
- Chinese home life - Draw Beijing Courtyard
- Chinese writing (calligraphy) - Practice Calligraphy
- Chinese opera and performing arts - Draw opera masks and perform
- Chinese folk arts - Learn how to do Chinese paper cutting
- Chinese martial arts - Learn how to do Taiji
- Famous Chinese Places - Give postcards and farewell letter writing
Assisted by LILA teachers, staff, and volunteers, students will pair up (one Chinese and U.S. student) to choose a topic, and work on a group project which they will present on the last day.
Lunch is provided.
Daily afternoon field trips, subject to change, include:
- MN Twins stadium tour
- Taylors Falls river cruise
- Community Volunteer Activity: Feed My Starving Children
- Twin Cities downtown tour
- Mill City Museum
- Science Museum
- University of Minnesota tour
- Mall of America and Sea Life Aquarium
U.S. Student Fees
Check out the special Camp Dragon – Mandarin By The Lake pricing for U.S. students! (Chinese student fees arranged through CES.)
Two-Week Camp Dragon 2017 Fee
Includes morning Chinese language and culture learning, lunch, and afternoon tours and activities in English.
$350 U.S. student – Family not hosting Chinese students
$250 U.S. student – Family hosting 1 Chinese student
$200 U.S. student – Family hosting 2 or more Chinese students
Note: In addition to registering your student, we request that you submit a second registration form to serve as a Host Family (see below).
Lakes International Language Academy Host Family Registration
Host family registrations now accepted for 2017. Thank you for your interest!
Any family from the Lakes International Language Academy community can participate (no student participations are required from your family)! It’s a great way to experience hosting international guests. Host families are invited to join us for the Opening Ceremony, Monday, July 24, at 9:00 with coffee and rolls prior.
Host Family Discount Or Stipend And Expectations
We appreciate the generous welcome you are extending to our Chinese guests. With our gratitude, we have arranged either a lower registration fee or a stipend for host families:
- Discounted Fee Option 1: If your family hosts two or more Chinese students, we will deduct $150 from the $350 camp registration fee for one child from your family.
- Discounted Fee Option 2: If your family hosts one Chinese student, we will deduct $100 from the $350 camp registration fee for one child from your family.
- Stipend: If your family hosts 2 Chinese students but does NOT send a child to camp, you are eligible to receive a $100 host stipend for the first 2 Chinese students you host and $75 for each additional Chinese student you host.
Camp Dragon expects our host families to provide:
- A bed, sleeper-couch, air mattress, or cot for each Chinese guest. You do not need to provide a private bedroom.
- Breakfast and dinner each day as well as meals on the weekend of July 29 and 30. Lunches will be provided.
- Transportation to and from Lakes International Language Academy Main Campus each day. Drop off by 8:30 a.m. Afternoon pickup depends on the day’s activities; we will let you know the approximate times as soon as the final scheduling is completed in June.