Resources For Learning More...
About Immersion And Elementary School Pedagogy
Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA), University of Minnesota
- Explore the CARLA site for resources for parents, teachers and administrative staff, and community leaders.
- Read a helpful introduction for parents about immersion education, “What Parents Want To Know About Immersion Education” written by Dr. Tara W. Fortune, Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition, University of Minnesota, and Dr. Diane J. Tedick, Department of Curriculum and Instruction, University of Minnesota.
- Watch this video about the role of language immersion program in preparing students to compete in the global economy. The video features researchers, community leaders, and immersion practitioners and their students.
Language Immersion Education In Minnesota
Video by University of Minnesota Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
Click to play video
The American Council On The Teaching Of Foreign Languages
You'll find an immense amount of information here and explanations for the research results: http://www.actfl.org/advocacy/what-the-research-shows.
Cognitive Benefits Of Second-Language Learning
This article summarizes some of the recent research and explains what it means for bilinguals: http://m.mic.com/articles/100452/science-reveals-something-surprising-about-people-who-speak-more-than-one-language.
The BBC also weighs in on some of the benefits on bilingual learning: http://www.bbc.com/news/education-29599177.
Here are excerpts from a document that was recently put together by an immersion organization in support of teaching indigenous languages and to advocate support for the two senate bills HR 4214:
Research shows that second language instruction improves overall school performance, cognitive development, problem solving, and creativity.
• Bilingual children have increased metalinguistic awareness, or knowledge ‘about’ languages. These metalinguistic skills are an important piece of intellectual development, reading skills development, and overall academic success (Hakuta 1986). Metalinguistic abilities are seen in greater phonemic awareness in bilingual children (for example, they can answer questions like “Do cat and car have the same sound at the beginning?”), and in bilingual children’s ability to break words into syllables more successfully than monolingual children (Lindfors 1991).
• A study of a second language improves knowledge of the first language as well as math and logic skills, as shown by decades of studies. Children who study a second language score higher on verbal standardized tests conducted in English. (Adelman 1981, Alter 1970, Hofstadter & Smith 1961, Olsen & Brown 1992, Parker 1956, Sachs 1982.)
Second language learning increases mental flexibility for children. They are more creative and better at planning and solving complex problems (Paradis, Genesee & Crago 2011). Bilinguals, with two or more words for a single object, concept or idea, think more abstractly about words and language (Ianco-Worrall 1972). Bilingualism seems to strengthen the brain’s executive control system, and in doing so, protects it from some of the effects of aging (Bialystok et al. 2007).
Minnesota Advocates for Immersion Network (MAIN)
- MAIN provides information and events for parents, teachers and staff, and community leaders.
About Helping Your Child Build Academic Skills
LILA ICT (Information/Communication/Technology)
- Portal to ICT login (Spanish)
Reading Resources (Links)
- LILA’s reading curriculum and our approach to literacy
- Reading is Fundamental
- Starfall Reading (English)
- Activities by Subject and Grade Level
- Literacy Center (Spanish/English)
- Online Books - International Children’s Digital Library (Spanish/English)
- Online Quizzes (for a variety of topics); benefits World Food Program
- Highlights Magazine
- Spider Magazine - Activities/Games (English)
- Subject-Based Activities (Spanish)
- ReadWriteThink: Activities and Resources for Students and Parents (English)
- Reading Rockets: Tips on how to help your child with reading (English)
- Guys Read: Book Ideas for Boys
Reading Resources (Downloads)
- 1.bw.first grade words.pdf
- k.bw.letter flashcards lower case.pdf
- k.bw.letter flashcards upper case.pdf
- k.bw.letter flashcards with pronunciation.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables c and g.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables ch and ll.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables f and b.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables h and j.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables m and s.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables n and d.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables p and r.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables t and l.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables y and v.pdf
- k.bw.Syllables z and nyay.pdf
- k.js.Estrella Alphabet Flashcards.pdf
- k.js.Estrella Chant Lyrics.pdf
- k.js.Info sheet Spanish Alphabet.pdf
Math Resources (Links)
- LILA’s math curriculum, Everyday Math
- National Library of Manipulatives K-6 (English/Spanish); related to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics Standards for Grades K-12 (highly recommended). Note: May require parent interaction, but well worth the time.
- AAA Math (Spanish) interactive arithmetic lessons
- AAA Math (English) interactive arithmetic lessons
- Funbrain K-6 Math Arcade (English)
- AplusMath K-6 Online Games, Flash Cards, Homework Helper (English)
- Hoagies’ links to math websites (English)
- Literacy Center Education Network K-2 Lessons: Numbers 1-10 and Shapes (English/Spanish)
- Illuminations Five Frame K-2 Online Game/Counting and Addition (English)
- Illuminations Bobbie Bear K-2 Online Game/Logic and Problem Solving (English)
- Mike’s Math Club 3-6 (English/Spanish) “Do The Math” printable activities
- Figure This 3-6 (English/Spanish) Math Challenges for Families - printable activities
- Math Can Take You Places 3-6 (English) interactive and printable games
- ALEKS K-6 (English/Spanish) Note: Fee-based site
- IXL K-6 (English) Note: Fee-based site
- Brain Pop Jr K-2 (English) Note: Fee-based site
- Brain Pop 3-6 (English) Note: Fee-based site
Math Resources (Downloads)
- GR1 Coin Dice2.pdf
- GR2 Addition Spin2.pdf
- GR3 Baseball Multiplication.pdf
- GR4 Division Dash.pdf
- GR5 Divisiblilty Dash.pdf
- GR6 Divisiblilty Dash.pdf
- GRK Guess the Number.pdf
- Spanish.Math.5s.mp3Element Selection